Tuesday 1 January 2013

The Beginning

Years ago I started an awesome hobby somewhere around 1989 to 1991, i can't remember now. This hobby was Wargames and the crafts that come along with it, building and painting armies and scenery.
My first project as a hobby youngling was the warhammer fantasy regiment set, of which the Wood elves were the things that caught my imagination. The set was a birthday present from my older brother along with some paints appropriate to the task and as you can see my skills were somewhat lacking.


Regardless of my lack of skill I never cared, I just enjoyed what i was doing! Which I believe now to be the key to getting better, that along with a keen observational eye.
A couple of years went by and I was luck enough to happen upon GW Manchester on a day when there was an 'Eavy Metal Roadshow!!! The guests of the day were Nigel Stillman and Tim Prow.
As a youngster of around 12 I was quiet kinda lad because of my keen eye I think and it was this quality that pointed me in the direction I am still going to this day as a figure painter
I sat the entire day in relative silence at the table where Tim and Nigel were demonstrating their skills. Nigel painted a chaos 'thing' and Tim painted a Chaos sorcerer and it was the sorcerer that caught my eye.
I eye balled every move Tim made with the brush and memorized the colours he used and the order he used them in and intermittently took close peeks of the 'Eavy Metal models he had brought along with him.
The end of the day came and I left having brought all the bits Tim had used to create the model, paints , brush and sorcerer and the desire for a Megadeth T shirt.
At home I proceeded to apply as much as I could remember to my new figure and my painting journey really blossomed





The original base I put him on is gone now (i used sugar instead of sand for texture) but miraculously the paint job still exists. I may hunt another down and paint it again :)
Tell me where your hobby journeys began in the comments below


Tommie Soule

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Tommie. I find your work inspiring, and more so seeing early stuff. It makes one realize that even the talented painters all had to start at square one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started the same time (around 1989), its great to see some of your original mini's and the super standard you have got to now.
    (10 ball)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Tommie, we're on a similar journey although I haven't been brave enough to show the miniatures I painted back when I started!

    Perhaps I should take the plunge too!

    Rich
    (http://miniaturesforroleplaying.blogspot.co.uk/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You took the plunge I see Mr Burge :) I tip my hat to you!
    Cheers for the comments guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tommie,

    Being ancient, I started about 12 years before you, fired up by some truly awful Star Wars 'inspired' miniatures. In those days I was painting in isolation (this was before there was a GW outside London, figure coverage in WD or even much flair seen at wargames shows). Still, like you I loved the hobby and I'm still gaming and painting (and thankfully I've got a little better since the first 'not-Luke' figure I painted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could only wish I had started in 89 instead of the diversion that Magic became. Sadly, I live in an area that has never had a gaming store. All of my information comes from the internet and I delayed... for far too long. I am now beginning my journey at 45. When I jumped, I really jumped in. With my Island of Blood barely out of the box, I discovered Zombicide... and knowing how much a zombie freak my wife is, I made an investment for our anniversary and as a Christmas present. I now have nearly 200 zombies to practice my brushstrokes on and gain control before I return to my GW miniatures. With steady practice, I should be ready to try adding some more advanced techniques this time next year. Thanks for the WIP on CMON and the brief flare of your blog...

    ReplyDelete