Tuesday 26 February 2013

What is a Good Miniatures Painter

What makes a good painter in my opinion is one that can work to an objective and complete that objective.

Imagine you run a Painting studio. What would you like your team to be like paint wise?
Top standard display painters? Mass army producers? Golem Demon winners? ;) Constantly exploring new ideas? Deadline Hitters? Great teachers and communicators? educated in the finer points of colour theory blah blah etc etc on and on

Add caption

Now imagine you are a hobbyist and you want to be a 'great painter'. What skills would you like to have to become 'great'?
Top standard display painting? Mass army producer? Golem Demon winner? ;) Constantly exploring new ideas? Deadline Hitter? Great teacher and communicator? educated in the finer points of colour theory blah blah etc etc on and on

I ask you all again. What Makes a painter great?
Every model i painted over a year and a half

2 comments:

  1. Hm, that's an interesting twist. There certainly are a lot of different motivations for painting which would drive the definition of 'great'. I guess that makes it a subjective statement based on the motivation of the speaker.

    I just got the best compliment in my eight months of painting that lifted the veil on my motivation. I had done and experimental project with lots of glazing based on a couple Brom paintings and someone said it looked more like it came from a painting than just a standalone mini. And that framed it for me, I want to create little pieces of art. Brom, Frazetta and Gurney are more what I think about when painting.

    Of course, this would be utter nonsense to the guy painting minis for his D&D group or churning out armies. Or even to the pro who is painting minis for catalog shots, especially given the speed (or lack thereof) of that style of painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classy carpets are what makes the painter 8-D

    ReplyDelete